Friday, May 1, 2009

Did somebody say "Bees"?

It's taken me several days just to calm down from my previous post.  In fact, several times I started a follow-up post that so I could continue my rant.  I had another YouTube clip about light bulbs lined up, and I had even thought up a too-clever Pynchon reference to go with it. Fortunately, I didn't post it.  Sometimes the best thing to do is just move on and not give attention seekers what they're looking for.  

Enough of that... instead, let's talk about something Albert Einstein once said.  Perhaps you've heard this famous quote before: 

"If the bee disappears from the surface of the Earth, man would have no more than four years to live."

Actually, many people think that Einstein probably didn't actually say that, even though you can do a simple internet search for that quote and get thousands of results -- shocking, I know, that there might be false information on the internet.  

Whether it was Einstein or some other uncredited soul who muttered those words, the quote itself is right on the money.  Colony collapse disorder is a frightening problem in the US.  Many crops, from nuts to fruits and vegetables, are pollinated by honeybees.  No one knows why so many honeybee colonies are dying off, but it's a serious problem.  Many theories point to irresponsible human behavior as the cause, but as of yet, no one really knows.

All of this is my way of welcoming back the bees.  Here in Boston, we just had our first weekend of summer weather, even though we're not quite out of spring yet.  As a result, many bees have emerged from their slumber.  Although most people don't celebrate the bee, I'm going to take it as good sign whenever I see one bouncing from plant to plant.  Sure, they sting sometimes, but as Einstein (or whoever) said, we kinda need them around, don't we?  Even the friendly bumblebee, more goofy than scary, is not so bad when you think of it that way.

No comments: