Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Is Disney's Earth movie a great way to improve environmental awareness, or just another corporation looking to cash in on Americans' increasing interest in sustainability?

The philanthropy vs. publicity debate is an important one, especially in this age of greenwashing. I've been bombarded with Earth Day promotions and offers, and it's difficult to separate the good from the too-good-to-be-true. It's a subject I'd like to return to soon. As I mentioned yesterday, the Disney Earth movie's promotion to plant a tree for every ticket sold seems like a great idea, not to mention the actual content of the movie itself.

Check out the debate over the Disney movie here for more.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am starting a company in which I will sell recycled gold earring with a company who I consulted on overhauling their manufacturing practices to green. I'm excited about the venture and am always trying to keep myself in check about selling green vs. not selling anything at all. It's a hard balance, but I do everything I can to be proud of what I'm offering. I will be affiliated with many charitable organization and will plant one tree for every single purchase made. Please check out my previous work in green building on my blog at http://www.rebekahgreen.com