Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The electric car is now a concept album

Neil Young loves the electric car so much he's decided to write and record a concept album about it. File this under S for "Strange but true."

Last year, old Neil decided to transform "his 1959 Lincoln from a nine-miles-per-gallon gas guzzler into an electric vehicle that can get 100 miles to the gallon."

"People can say I'm crazy — that's fine, I expect that. I'm a rock & roller trying to do something that may not even be possible. But, frankly, I have nothing else to do... With the energy crisis, I thought, 'This represents an era that's over,' " Young says. "I decided that I wanted to do something with one of my cars to make a statement about technology. Anyone can do it. You don't have to have billions of dollars and be Ford."

All right, that's crazy, but definitely a good kind of crazy. You really don't have to be a major corporation to affect change. Good on ya, Neil.

But did he stop there? Of course not. Neil Young doesn't do things halfway, so he decided to write a concept album about the electric car. No joke--the nine song album is titled Fork in the Road. Check out the crazed video for the Fork in the Road song as well.

Hey, I love the idea here. Neil's writing about his passion. Sometimes I wonder if maybe he could work on the delivery method--you know, is it necessary to try to insult anyone who isn't spending their own time and money turning their car into an electric machine? But then again, this is Neil Young, and he isn't exactly known for his subtelty!

No comments: