Thursday, March 12, 2009

Turn your lights down low

In fact, turn your lights off completely. Mayor Menino announced that Boston will be taking part in Earth Hour on March 28th, from 8:30 - 9:30 p.m.

Basically, Earth Hour is an hour when everyone turns off their lights. For an hour. This is the third year of Earth hour, and here is the description of this year's campaign:

This year, Earth Hour has been transformed into the world’s first global election, between Earth and global warming. For the first time in history, people of all ages, nationalities, race and background have the opportunity to use their light switch as their vote – Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming.

Raising awareness is great. I'm all for it -- I'm happy to vote for Earth over global warming. My fear, as always, is that people feel a sense of accomplishement with this completely symbolic action. I want people to be aware, of course, but I don't want this to be a way for people to feel good about themselves without having to actually do anything. Politicians and companies can jump on the bandwagon and tout their green credentials, while at the same time they're putting up massive, energy-sucking billboards that throb and pulsate with electricity throughout the night.


Ok, I feel a little bit whiny, like Grandpa Simpson. But now that my cynicism is out of the way, let me say I'll be happy to vote for Earth.

Global warming sucks.

Go Earth.

No comments: