Sunday, July 19, 2009

Litterbug, litterbug

We've all seen it: you're walking along in the city, or maybe down a suburban street in your hometown. You're minding your own business, perhaps whistling a tune or daydreaming.  And then, out of the corner of your eye, you see someone blatantly littering.  They're dropping a wrapper, tossing a soda bottle, crumpling up a piece of paper and letting it fall to the ground.

So what are you, a concerned citizen, supposed to do?  Do you silently continue on your walk, stewing about the disrespect some people have for the planet?  Do you lurk around the corner and then pick up the trash yourself when the litterer is out of sight?  Do you confront the person, there and then, in middle of the street?

I encountered a litterbug yesterday while out for a run.  I was minding my own business, listening to my iPod and generally struggling through the heat.  I suddenly noticed a man walking towards me, about 30 yards away, who was unwrapping one of those cheap convenience store ice cream cones.  He was peeling off the wrapper, and as I got closer, he just let the paper fall on the ground.  This was a grown man, in his 40s or 50s, not some child who didn't know better.  

So I slowed my run, got right up close to him, pointed at the wrapper, and forcefully but politely suggested that perhaps he was unaware that he had dropped said wrapper.  He looked at me blankly.  Perhaps it was the endorphins from the run, but at this point I decided to tell him loudly that he reminded me of a particular part of the human anatomy.  You might be able to guess which one.

I'm not sure if this is the most effective way to deal with people who litter on the street.  But then again, what can you really do?

No comments: