Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Recycled marathon shoe

I worry about the environmental impact of my running habit. A committed runner is buying a new pair of sneakers every three months (if not sooner!). That's a lot of sneaker, and it starts to pile up after a while. It's hard not to look at a pile of all running shoes and think of the waste.

Is there a solution? Brooks is now producing a recycled shoe for marathon runners called the Green Silence. Made from 75% postconsumer recycled materials and non-toxic dyes and colorants, Brooks certainly has every right to shout about their new product.
So how does it work as a shoe? That's the big question, and one that we won't be able to answer until next February, when the shoe hits the streets (so to speak). Runners are notoriously picky about their footwear, so it will be interesting to see if Brooks can make a dent in the running shoe market.
Will I buy one? Perhaps. I've been wearin the same shoe for over two years, and I fear change, but I'm intrigued by this one, even if I don't exactly understand the name "Green Silence."

No comments: