Saturday, July 12, 2008

Random recycling thoughts

How many things can you actually recycle? We all know to recycle our bottles, our newspapers, our plastic containers. But of course there are many other ways to be a recycler (I'm not sure that recylcer is a word, but I declare that it is a word from now on, even if Firefox insists on underlining it in red).

I found this list of 10 Things to Recycle That You Never Thought You Could. Generally I am trying to get into the habit of not simply throwing everything in the trash. Before I throw something out, I think about what other possible uses it might have. Can I donate to it charity? Could I make a buck selling it on eBay? One man's trash is another man's treasure, right?

This article is along those same lines. Some of the ideas seem more practical than others, but I like the thought process behind the article. Two of the items in particular jumped out at me: #4 (running shoes) and #6 (wine corks).

I run a lot, and as logically follows, I go through lots of running sneakers. Runners who put in a lot of miles should buy new shoes as often as every three months! I currently have 3 pairs of sneakers, all Nike Air Zoom size 13s, hanging out in the closet. They aren't bad shoes, and they are definitely still usable. So I can either donate them to Nike's Reuse a Shoe program, or send them to the Shoe4Africa program. Both look like great programs, and I won't have a growing collection of used running sneakers loitering in my closet.

I actually enjoy wine even more than I like to run. That is why I was excited to see this company that converts corks into wall and floor tiles. Of course there are many other ways to put old corks to use. May I suggest wine cork crafts?

Whether it is shoes, corks, or anything, I am working on getting into the habit of thinking about what I throw away. There are many ways to think of recycling, so be a recycler! And if this doesn't interest, I still suggest you check out page three of the above article simply for the picture of the babies sleeping in the foam packaging material!

No comments: