Tuesday, July 1, 2008

How is this going to work?

A Method to the Madness?
Enough with the rambling introduction and the quasi-philosophical mumbo-jumbo—how is this going to work? You say you are going green, but how do you plan to do it? Do you even have a plan?

Those are some excellent questions with a simple answer: I don’t know. I do not know how this is going to work, I am not sure where I will get my information, and I do not have a timeframe. I will not be creating an arbitrary system to follow.

I want to leave the process open-ended because discovering how to go green is what this project is all about. I could set up some rules, follow some guidelines, and have a happy conclusion in __ months, but I am going to resist the urge to do so. I want to discover the best way to go green, and I expect that much of the value and fun of this experience will be uncovering those secrets.

Six months ago I was not living a green life. I wasn’t wasteful, and I always considered “the environment” at the top of the issues I cared about. But what actions did I take? None, unless you want to count “not littering in my local parks and playgrounds” as an action. Sure, I didn’t own a factory or knowingly dump any industrial chemicals into the ground. Beyond that, I was fairly comfortable in my typically convenient American lifestyle.

This record is essentially about my discoveries as a novice who is attempting to go green. I have no experience or basis for creating my own unique going green plan, and I don’t want to simply copy someone’s plans and recommendations. As a result, I will probably come up with some stupid ideas and some impractical tasks. I welcome suggestions and feedback, so if you see something on here that is incomplete, backwards, or just plan wrong, let me know! I am not an authority on the subject, just someone who is anxious to learn more.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Going green is an abstract idea for most people. I hope that this blog allows others to realize that "going green" is a lifestyle that everyone can adapt to.