Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Recycle Your Shopping Bags, Conan

Paper or plastic?

Remember when you were confronted with this question on every trip to the grocery store? Well now there is no excuse to use either paper or plastic. Nothing could be more fashionable than reusable shopping bags. You can buy them at just about any grocery store nowadays, and you don’t have to worry about what to do with all those plastic or paper bags anymore. And unless you believe in a literal interpretation of the movie American Beauty, you won’t miss the sight all those plastic bags floating around your hometown.

We have several different cloth shopping bags, but my favorite is the Whole Foods cloth bag. I basically fit half my week’s groceries in this one, and it has a handy over the shoulder strap.

Not only do I use these cloth bags for groceries, but I have started bringing them to work every day. I used to get plastic bags at the store, and then reuse those to bring my lunch to work. Since I use my cloth bag to get the food home, it makes perfect sense to use the bag to bring the food to work.

The added bonus is that I can out-green other people on the train in the morning. With my cloth bag strapped over my shoulder, I am clearly the coolest/most environmentally conscious person on the T—at least in my own mind anyway.

One group of people I cannot claim to out-green is the band Radiohead (and, yes, I realize that segue was a stretch, but trust me it’s worth it). Radiohead performed on Conan O’Brien back in April, but instead of traveling to New York, they chose to tape the performance in London. According to Thom Yorke, traveling in a trans-Atlantic jet is the CO2 equivalent of driving your car for an entire year!

I think the song, House of Cards, is one of the best off their new album, but it’s worth checking out this video if only for the sound advice on shopping bags they give to Conan at the beginning. You should be able to find the video of the performance here on the NBC website, and it is under Most Watched. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Man o' day. I wish I could write as good as you.

See what I did there? Tee hee. But seriously, yeah.