Wednesday, July 16, 2008

*Update -- The Paperless Office

Today I'd like to make a quick update to my promise of July 7 to reduce the amount of paper I use in the office. First, I'd like to thank Microsoft Word for the Track Changes feature. It has made my transition to on-the-computer editing a lot easier. To be honest, I have used this feature before on and off (especially when editing other people's work). But it wasn't until I made the conscious decision to reduce paper waste that I truly committed to editing on my computer.

Obviously, using Track Changes for a little over a week is hardly worth an entire update in and of itself. Careful readers of the blog, however, will remember my doubts about the office recycling. I was tipped off by an honest co-worker to the possibility that the contents of our recycle bins and our trash bins actually end up in the same place. Typically the bins are emptied around 5:45pm, so I played the role of the crazy eco-stalker.

I sat at my desk, finishing up my work for the day while reading my favorite green websites, and waited patiently for 5:45pm. As reliable as a Moscow subway train, the woman from the building staff came by at just past quarter to six. She came by with a large trash can on wheels, and I watched, rather inconspicuously, as she dumped both the recycle bins and the trash bins into her rolling catchall.

My office doesn't recycle! Or at the very least, we didn't today. So what I should I do?

1) I could talk to the buidling staff
2) I could email the building management
3) I could tell my boss, or even the president of my company

First, I plan to wait until 5:45pm again tomorrow, and see if it happens again. And then I need to figure out what to do next. Clearly, I can't allow my office to throw away all the paper we go through! How crazy is that?!?

So what should I do? If anyone has any suggestions, please comment and let me know. As always, I will keep you updated on my progress with this one. Until then, stay green!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Owen:
I am pretty sure that my office in Harvard Square does the exact same thing. I think that someone asked our building management about it and they denied it. I find it hard to believe that the City of Cambridge doesn't require buildings to recycle. I am also frustrated by the fact that we can't recycle plastic or glass in our office. I tote my stuff home at the end of the day and put it in my home recycling bin. I have considered keeping a paper bag at work and bringing it home once a week but I'm not sure if that is crazy! I like your blog - keep up the good work!
- Shauna