Friday, September 26, 2008

Raw food

Unfortunately the Boston Green Fest was a bit of a rain out today. Not officially, not that I know of, but it's difficult to slide away from work for an hour in the pouring rain. So I'll try to make it down tomorrow, although I hear that it's going to be raining even harder tomorrow. Cat and dogs, they say.

In the meantime, I wanted to write a quick review of Grezzo, the vegan raw food restaurant that I ate at last Saturday night. Located in the North End in Boston, Grezzo serves only organic, raw foods. By "raw" they mean food that is not heated over 112 degrees. Apparently heating foods above that temperature kills most of the healthiest enzymes, so they only serve "living" food. Obviously this restaurant doesn't need any sort of certification to assert their Green-ness! They don't use animal products of any kind, yeast, dairy, processed foods, etc. So what do they actually "cook" with? Fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, and seeds.

After that description, you may be wondering why anyone, besides maybe a family of squirrels, would go to such a place and pay top dollar. It's a fair question, and my answer is simple: in order to cook good food with such tight restrictions, you must be extremely creative. And the chefs at Grezzo are fantastically creative.

The appetizers were sliders. The patties were made of a carrot and nut mixed that was dehydrated, and there were heirloom tomato slices as "bread."For dinner I had a papya steak. Yeah, that is pretty much what it sounds like: a big piece of papaya. It was prepared with this wonderfully salty teriyaki sauce. I have no idea how they pull it off, but it was a filling meal that left me feeling light and satiated.

You can go to Grezzo for the organic and raw foods. You can also go because of the great selection of organic wine and beer. Those are great reasons, but the best argument I can make is that you will not find these dishes anywhere else in Boston. I respect the creativity that must go into the dishes, and the result is some incredibly unique and interesting food. It's a highly recommended experience.

No comments: